180 L Planted Aquarium Journal

Through building and maintaining beautiful nature aquaria people re-learn the intricate connections between forms of life, plants, fish, microorganism and humans. Riches and beauty come from harmony, from balance. Aquaria are great teachers of this truth. Takashi Amano

3/21/2006

The 51st day


Today I added aquarium peat to the filter. The pH is around 7.8 so I am hoping to get it down a bit. There are already two big pieces of bog-wood inside so with the peat help it should go down to pH7.6 which would be very good for the fish I am keeping. All inhabitants are swimming/eating/shoaling readily and they don't show any signs of weakness. Plants are growing fine and fast. There are a few things to mention though.
I noticed Cardinal Tetras nipping Angels fins! Not often, only when very hungry I guess (the time before feeding). I can't see any fin damage. The Angels and Cardinals are trying to nip the Amano shrimps, but nothing serious happens (again before feeding time). The bigger SAE bullys the smaller one, but again, no one gets hurt at the end. Otos are very active in search for algae, they clean all the leaves and bog-wood. I can't see any snails, but do see gravel moving, which is a good indicator of healthy snail population. I found only one snail so far inside the filter box.
I am adding Tropica Master Grow next week because the Cardemine lyrata is showing yellow leaves.
Photo by Dusko Bojic