180 L Planted Aquarium Journal

Through building and maintaining beautiful nature aquaria people re-learn the intricate connections between forms of life, plants, fish, microorganism and humans. Riches and beauty come from harmony, from balance. Aquaria are great teachers of this truth. Takashi Amano

3/05/2006

The 31st day

At feeding time the aquarium gets pretty busy. The Angels and the Cardinals are the aggressive eaters. The SAE, Otos & Amano shrips are scavenging at the bottom. The food they are eating at this photo is a spirulina tablet. I do have one problem, or better again, a have doubts about how to feed the Angelfish. Whatever I put in the aquarium they will eat no matter is it flake, live or tablet food. I don't feed much. Even though they seem to get the most of it, and as you can see on the photo they do develop after the feeding big, round stomach. I am not sure what should I do. The only way is to feed a very little amount few times a day so they have time to digest it. They do eat the Cardemine lyrata, Bacopa australis & Egeria densa which is very good for their healthy diet. Bellies usually go away after half an hour or so.

One of my Otos were removed today from the tank and euthanized. Since the day I added it to the aquarium it was showing weak behaviour; not eating, swimming slowly, wobbly and at 45 degrees and developing white spots like the one shown on the photo. This morning I noticed two more spots on its face. Its stomach was completely fallen in showing that its not eating at all. The other two Otos are very active, especially when feeding time. One of my Angels and one of my SAE were scratching them selves against the plants and gravel. I am hoping that the temperature ( 28'C ), good diet and good water quality will stop this possible ICH break-out. I am not happy about the idea to treat my tank with medication. It was a mistake keeping the weak Oto for so long at the first place.
Photos by Dusko Bojic