180 L Planted Aquarium Journal

Through building and maintaining beautiful nature aquaria people re-learn the intricate connections between forms of life, plants, fish, microorganism and humans. Riches and beauty come from harmony, from balance. Aquaria are great teachers of this truth. Takashi Amano

2/15/2006

The 13th day

Since the plants are thriving, ammonia & nitrite are zero and there is some algae appearing I decided to add the first few algae eating fish. I added two 3cm long Siamese Algae Eaters & three OTO's.
I decided to plant a bit more. I added to the "plant family" a gorgeous looking Egeria densa ( dark tall plant on the left ). But the reason for choosing this plant was not of the decorative but more of the practical nature. As you might know that Egeria densa secretes antibiotic substances which can help prevent blue-green algae that are known as Cyanobacteria and can be very unpleasant for plants & fish.
Thanks to the DIY reflectors the plant growth is significant. H. Zosterifolia is the only plant that is holding back & today I took it from the left corner where I planted instead the Egeria & placed it in front of the Thalictroides. I cut of all the old leaves & left only the young shots with roots. Will give it one more week. Few hours before adding the fish I made a 25% water change & conditioned it with Aqua Safe from Tetra.